Anna’s Sweet and Sour Chicken
I was very impressed when both my children's schools decided to produce a cookbook with recipes complied from family favourites. It creates great entertainment in our house to leaf through it and find a recipe we'd like to try for dinner. Well the book is out again today and after a quick check for ingredients, we found the ingredients for one we've tried before and has gone down very well. I call our version of the recipe "Anna's Sweet and Sour Chicken" It's very easy and definitely one the children will like!
- 4 free range chicken breasts
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- A good hunk of fresh ginger peeled and chopped finely
- 1 red pepper washed, deseeded and chopped
- 4 sticks of celery washed and chopped
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 handfuls of runner beans/green beans washed, trimmed and chopped
- Coconut oil for frying
- 7 tablespoons of tomato passata
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar or honey
- 220g pineapple chunks (I used fresh pineapple and ½ a large one but can use a can but make sure there is no sugar added)
Add a tablespoon or two of coconut oil into a large wok. When oil is hot and melted add the chicken pieces. Cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat until brown. Add all the vegetables and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, stirring all the time. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and then add to the pan. Stir well and let it bubble for a few minutes before serving.
Great over brown basmati rice or whole grain egg noodles.