Tomato, Red Pepper & Courgette Soup
This is a great low calorie flavoursome & nutritious soup. I made it on Saturday and drank it with a great open sandwich of tuna and salad, however it also made a great pasta sauce for the children and the perfect tomato base for homemade pizzas! Very versatile. This is smart cooking at its best as it freezes great too!
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon of smoked sweet paprika
- 1 large courgette washed and sliced
- 1 large red pepper washed and chopped into hunks
- 2 carrots scrubbed well and chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock gel Enough water to cover vegetables freshly ground pepper
In a heavy saucepan sweat the onion in the olive oil until soft. Add the garlic and paprika and cook for 5 minutes over a low to medium heat. Add vegetables and tin of tomatoes and stir well. Add water and stock gel and let it simmer for 20 minutes to let all the flavours throughly mingle. Give it a few good pulses with a hand blender (so it still has some smaller lumps of vegetables in it) and season with freshly ground pepper.