Thai Beef Salad
- 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large sirloin steak
- 3-4 handfuls of Romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 x 200g grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 2 long fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked, large leaves torn
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil, leaves picked, large leaves torn
- 55g toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded
Whisk together lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in a jug. Place the steak in a glass or ceramic dish. Drizzle with half the dressing and season with a little freshly ground pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, turning occasionally, for 2 hours to develop the flavours.
Preheat chargrill pan on high. Cook steak on grill for 2-3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
Place the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, chilli, mint, coriander, basil, peanuts and lime leaves in a large bowl, gently mix. Then arrange salad mixture on a platter style plate. Thinly slice steak across the grain and place on top of the salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Divide salad among bowls and serve immediately.