Five months in and we're well into the busy school routine … uniforms, school bags, books, sports gear and lunches! I've had a busy two weeks in a lot of schools, companies and sports clubs and I hear the same thing from parents of school going children ... the struggle with ideas for tasty, healthy lunches that their children will have time to eat in school and won't come back in the lunch box!
The school day can be long and demanding and it is important that children have the right fuel to keep them going. So what is the correct fuel?…healthy carbohydrates for slow releasing energy with good proteins and fats to keep them fuller longer and lots of powerful plants (fruit and veg) for health and wellbeing. Now let me show you how that translates into some healthy lunchbox fillers. I have created a link to the recipes too.
10 Nutritious, Slow Energy Releasing Lunchbox Filler Ideas:
- Raw vegetables chopped up with guacamole
- Homemade wholegrain nut and fruit bread
- Natural yogurt with low sugar granola and fresh fruit
- Sesame seed whole meal scones
- Last night’s stew/casserole
- A container of soup (but add some beans, meat, fish, lentils to boost it with protein and good fats to keep them fuller longer)
- Egg muffins
- Kale quesadillas
- Banana Chia Seed Oat Bars – A no sugar homemade health bar
- Natural Nut Butter Energy Balls
Alva O’Sullivan is a qualified nutritionist and fitness coach with clinics in Stillorgan and Blackrock, Co Dublin. She also runs interactive nutrition and health workshops in corporates, schools and clubs. For more information contact Alva on firstname.lastname@example.org