Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Spinach Stew
This is a really simple vegetarian recipe for a comforting, nutritious and super tasty lunch or light evening meal. The indian spices and touch of coconut milk give it a great flavour you won't be disappointed with!
Ingredients 1 large yellow onion chopped finely 1 knob of butter (or coconut oil for dairy free recipe)
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 1 hunk ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander and garam masala
- 1 tin chickpeas (rinsed)
- 1 sweet potato chopped into small cubes
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 3-4 handfuls spinach
- 3 celery sticks, washed and chopped enough vegetable stock to cover vegetables
- 1/2 tin coconut milk (last minute)
Sauté onion in butter for 5 minutes on a low heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir for another minute. Add spices and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add sweet potato, chickpeas, spinach and celery and stir well to ensure the spices cover all the vegetables. Add the tine of tomatoes and stock to cover vegetables. Simmer for about 15 minutes on a medium heat until sweet potato has softened. Add coconut milk, season with some pepper if desired and serve. Makes enough for 4-5 portions and tastes even better after 24 hours!